Bombing press: Israeli strike on Gaza media center injures at least 6 (VIDEO, PHOTOS)
An Israeli airstrike on a media compound has injured at least six journalists, Palestinian medical authorities say. Among the outlets damaged are local, Italian, German, Lebanese and Kuwaiti channels. RT‘s office in Gaza was affected too.
The journalists received minor to moderate injuries, Health Ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra said. One journalist had his leg amputated following the attack, he added.
Two buildings of a media center in Gaza City were targeted by Israeli warplanes early on Sunday in a series of strikes. Witnesses reported that the journalists had evacuated after an initial attack, which was followed by at least two more hits. The buildings were heavily damaged.
Some of the victims are employees of Palestinian Ma’an news agency , while the man who lost his leg is a cameraman with the local al-Quds TV, Ma’an reports. The attack was focused on the 11th floor, where the office of al-Quds TV is located.
Iranian Press-TV reported that one of their cameramen was injured.
Journalists from different agencys run after an Israeli air strike on an office of Hamas television channel Al-Aqsa in Gaza City
Among the journalists affected was the crew from RT’s Arabic-language sister channel Rusiya Al-Yaum. Fortunately for them, they had left the Shawa building about an hour before the Israeli planes delivered the strike. RT’s office was damaged, so the crew will move to a less-affected floor of the center.
Several other media organizations occupying apartment buildings are now being evacuated, filmmaker Harry Fear, who is currently in Gaza, told RT.
Among the media outlets the center hosted are Britain’s Sky News, Italian RAI, German ARD, Kuwait-TV and others.
The Middle East Foreign Press Association demanded explanation from the IDF over why the media buildings were targeted. It said journalists in areas of conflict are considered civilians and must be respected and protected as such under the international law.
An IDF report described the target of the attack as “a communications antenna used by Hamas to carry out terror activity against the State of Israel.” Israel sees al-Quds TV as a Hamas propaganda branch.
- Israel pounds Gaza Strip from air and sea (aljazeera.com)
- Palestinians say Israel trying to Silence Media, by Attacking Journalists (juancole.com)
- Office of pro-Hamas TV bombed by Israel, 3 injured (thehindu.com)
- Israel bombards Gaza Strip (bigpondnews.com)
- Gaza media building hit in air strike (bigpondnews.com)
- Israel shells Gaza from the sea (bbc.co.uk)
- Israel Broadens Its Bombing in Gaza to Include Government Sites (nytimes.com)
- Israel shells Gaza for fifth straight day (radionz.co.nz)
- Israel Strikes Gaza Media Building, Several Journalists Injured (eurasiareview.com)
- Gaza Conflict: Two Killed In Israeli Strike (sfluxe.com)
Filed under: news Tagged: | Bombing press: Israeli strike on Gaza media center injures at least 6 (VIDEO, Gaza, Hamas, Israel, Israel Defense Forces, Jerusalem, Ma'an News Agency, PHOTOS), Rusiya Al-Yaum, Television