“I don’t care about no damn lawsuit” officer yells at media
March 19, 2012
Two NBC journalists were handcuffed and threatened by Chicago police after attempting to report on the murder of a 6-year-old girl yesterday, NBC Chicago reports.
Another NBC journalist was also detained by police outside Mt. Sinai Hospital, where the girl had been taken following a fatal shooting during city wide violence over the weekend.
Police were called to the hospital shortly after reporters arrived on the scene. The journalists said they has already moved away from a public sidewalk and across the street at the request of the police.
One police officer was then caught on camera telling other members of the media “Your First Amendment right can be terminated if you’re creating a scene or whatever. Your First Amendment right has got limitations.”
When the reporters asked for clarification on how they were creating a scene, the officer replied, “Your presence is creating a scene.”
“This is what we do for a living!” one reporter replied, before another added“You’ve got a lawsuit coming.”
“I don’t care about no damn lawsuit!” the officer fired back. “F*ck a lawsuit. Just ’cause you sue doesn’t mean you’re going to win.”
Photographer Donte Williams and WGN Reporter Dan Ponce were then handcuffed and briefly detained by the officer, who threatened them with trespassing charges.
- Prison Planet.com ” Cop Arrests NBC Reporters, Says “Your First Amendment Right Can Be Terminated” (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Chicago Police Detain Journalists “At The Request Of Hospital Security Guards” (pixiq.com)
- Today’s Links: March 19, 2012 (openmarket.org)
- Steelworker: Officers Beat Me For Videotaping Them (chicago.cbslocal.com)
- Occupy D.C. Protesters Sue Over Arrests Outside Merrill Lynch Office (legaltimes.typepad.com)
- Solutions “If See Something, Film Something” You have a right to film the police (ldpaszli.org)
- NSW police say Taser use on the way down (news.smh.com.au)
- Lawsuit claims officer used excessive force in handcuffing 9-year-old ()
- ‘Kony 2012′ Honcho Jason Russell — Detained for Allegedly Masturbating in Public [UPDATE] (tmz.com)
- Chicago Police Accused Of Racially Motivated Arrest On Man Recording Them (pixiq.com)
Filed under: news Tagged: | chicago, Chicago Police Department, Cop Arrests NBC Reporters, Dan Ponce, First Amendment to the United States Constitution, lawsuit, nbc, Police officer, Says “Your First Amendment Right Can Be Terminated”, Steve Watson