Ron Paul Speech at the Iowa Straw Poll – 2011 (08/13/11)
Ron Paul Speaking at the Iowa Straw Poll 2011 on http://www.RealLibertyMedia.com – Captured Live on Ustream at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/Real-Liberty-Media
Ames, Iowa - Ron Paul said earlier this week that he’d be disappointed with less than a top three finish in Iowa straw poll.
He got his wish today, garnering 4,671 votes to finish second behind Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann. A total of 16,892 votes were cast.
“It felt very good,” Paul told The Des Moines Register minutes after the results were announced. “I think we did very, very well.”
Paul’s press secretary, Gary Howard, attributed his candidate’s strong finish to Paul’s die-hard supporters and tireless staff members. He said Paul’s vote total was the fourth highest in Iowa straw poll history.
Supporters of the 12-term congressman also were happy about his finish.
“I didn’t think that we would get over 3,000 (votes)… And just to know that he went well past beyond that and that (former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty) in third place didn’t really come all that close; it shows that the supporters are out there,” said Josh Thomas, 22, of Cedar Falls. “The people that are doing the hard work, it’s all finally come to fruition. I’m definitely happy.”
Tim Huwaldt, another Paul supporter, said Paul’s second-place finish was even more impressive considering that the national media has not considered the Texan a “top-tier” contender.
“This relatively little-known candidate, as far as I’m concerned, just slayed the straw poll with the grassroots movement,” said the 25-year-old man from Marion. “There were no cameras, there were no lights. It was just grassroots.”
- Craziest Fundamentalist Republican Wins Iowa Straw Poll (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Michele Bachmann Wins Iowa Straw Poll (humpdayreport.wordpress.com)
- Iowa Straw Poll Results: Rep. Bachmann Wins, Rep. Ron Paul Comes In Second (mediaite.com)
- Bachmann Wins Iowa Straw Poll (lezgetreal.com)
- Michele Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll, edging out Ron Paul (csmonitor.com)
- Ames Iowa Straw Poll Results, Saturday, August 13, 2011 | Politisite (ironmill.wordpress.com)
- Bachmann Wins Iowa Straw Poll (online.wsj.com)
- Michele Bachmann Wins Ames, Iowa Straw Poll (crooksandliars.com)
- Rep. Ron Paul Comes Out Swinging Against Abortion At Iowa Straw Poll Speech (mediaite.com)
- Steve Clemons: Iowa Straw Poll Takes a Dive (huffingtonpost.com)
Filed under: news Tagged: | Ames Iowa, Ames Straw Poll, Des Moines Register, Josh Thomas, Michele Bachmann, Minnesota, Mitt Romney, Ron Paul, Ron Paul Speech at the Iowa Straw Poll - 2011 (08/13/11), Tim Pawlenty